Friday, January 9, 2009

Sleep/Food Issues—What a Struggle!

We have had a bad week with Evan’s sleep habits. As I have posted many times before, he still wakes up during the night and ends up sleeping with us. He generally is asleep by 8:30pm. This week, he has been asleep by 8:30 but is waking up between 10 and 10:30pm. It takes me almost 30 minutes to get him back to sleep. If we are lucky he might sleep for another hour and then the process starts over. Of course, I am generally so tired I go ahead and put him in the bed with us. Last night I rocked and rocked, he was snoring, so I laid him in his crib and those eyes popped open and he was on his feet faster than lightning which lead him to sleeping with us even earlier. It is so hard to figure out how to break this when we are so tired and have to get up and work the next day. I know part of it has to do with attachment and he doesn’t like being by himself.

The other issue is food. Our picky eater has become even picker. This child of mine doesn’t eat eggs, meat, bread, mashed potatoes, pasta (mac and cheese/spaghetti), etc. He would at least eat chicken nuggets or fish sticks. Those have now gone by the wayside. He will eat a few vegetables on a good day. He will eat some beans and fruit and that is about it. If it wasn’t for fruit I don’t know what we would do. I have started giving him the Wal-Mart brand of pediasure trying to get something nutritional in him.

We are looking for insight on how to improve these things for Evan and ourselves so we can all rest better and he is getting all the appropriate nutrition he needs. If you have any suggestions, please share.

No comments: